Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Temporary Freedom

Well, I'm officially back into the blogworld. The reason for my extended absence is that I really didn't have any brain power left to blog anything coherent in the last month. All of that was sucked into the numerous writing projects, sermons, and papers I had to plow through. This past week alone, I had to birth 39 pages of papers/exams of which I wrapped up at 10 am yesterday. I am proud in the sense that I don't think I had any major meltdowns over the course of the week, which means I must be getting used to the mental torture of seminary a bit :-)

I do have to give a shout out to my partner in crime because he made a lot of my writing time possible and was the primary parent for at least 5 of the 7 days (Before you feel too bad, he only had 15 pages of work to my 39). But seriously, for the most part we worked as a team and he's on campus right now handing in his last assignment so WE ARE FREE! (For a week and a half).

To recap my week:

On Sunday, January 1, I sort of finished taking notes on my Doctrine of Election paper (You know you've descended into seimary geekdom when you're reading titles like Karl Barth's Critically Realistic Dialectical Theology: Its Genesis and Development 1909-1936. I really thought this paper was going to get the best of me. The length was supposed to be 15-20 pages, which I guess in the grand scheme of things isn't too long but just long enough that you have put in some serious study time to pull it off. The biggest pressure-cooker for this paper is that it was worth 90% of our grade. Yikes! My two options for who will grade this paper is my professor (the author of the above book) or my preceptor who is notorious for not giving students As on anything. So yeah, I'll let you know how that one turns out.

Mon-Thurs morning: writing said Election paper.
Thur-Sat: Writing 9 more pages of Theology exams covering Pneumatology, the Church, and the Sacraments of the Lord's Supper and Baptism (you know EASY stuff ha ha)
Sat night-Monday night): Writing 15-20 page paper on Women's Religious Involvement in Islam. Not too worried about this hastily written paper since it is a P/F class.
Tuesday 10 am: printed off 2nd set of Theology papers and Islam paper.
11:50 am: All papers are in their proper bins outside of professors locked and darkened offices :-)

I'd like to say that I've felt euphoric joy after finishing these assignments. But instead I've had a nagging headache and strong attachment to lounging on our living room couch (where I'm at right now). I think that is the challenge of finals. You push so hard to the finish line and sadly, there are no cameras or medals or or silvery blankets or gatorade bottles waiting for you at the end of the marathon. Just the knowledge that a new set of challenges are ahead in under two weeks. Sigh, can you tell I'm ready for this seminary gig to finish? :-)

Well, I plan on my next blog to be more thoughtful and less about my schedule and more about what I'm thinking about (as soon as my brain is able to do that again)

Thanks all for being patient.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lorna said...

goodness me. And I thought I had ittough. And where are you studying? lol

3:34 PM, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home