Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007 Changes anticipated and otherwise

2007 has begun. As you may notice, I didn't keep too well to my blog updates since September. Much has occurred since that time. Continued challenges with balance and both joys and struggles along the way. Yesterday and this morning, I spent some time reflecting on all of that.

Since September, I'm almost finished being a full time student. Give me two weeks and I will only have one more class to complete my degree program. I am very thankful for this since many changes are headed my way in the next six months. Some of these include a move this week across the street due to flooding in our apartment, the upcoming birth of our second child (hopefully in late April), graduation, and figuring out where the heck to live post June/July 07. Needless to say, the plate is full.

Some happy changes include developing leadership skills with a student organization on campus and carving out time social time with other women in my community. That has been something that has been severely lacking in my time in seminary. Sure, I work with other women in the classroom. I socialize at student activities or community parties. However, I have sorely missed intentional friendship building time with other women who are my peers, students or neighbors. This past semester, I have really made strides in this area and have some deeper friendships as a result.

An anxious change that has developed in the past few days is with my pregnancy. I hadn't mentioned it in September because I was still in the first trimester, but now I am at 24 weeks and up until now, things have been going well. The little guy (so the tech. claims) is strong and lets me know of his presence all the time. However, Saturday evening, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling my best. I sat down to rest and noticed I was having contractions about 2-3 minutes apart. They weren't very painful but they were different than Braxton-Hicks. After 45 minutes, I called my midwife and to my surprise, she told me to come to the hospital. T and I went and after about 2 hours and one IV bag of fluid, the contractions stopped and they sent me home, with a good chastisement for not drinking enough fluids. We went home thinking all was well. Well, on Sunday night, I again was sitting and around the same time of the evening, I began to notice contractions again at 3 minutes apart. This time, T and I decided to let it ride but after 4 hours and a conversation with my mom's friend who is a delivery nurse, it was back to the hospital. T and I technically brought in the new year in the hallway of our apartment but by 12:45, I was being wheeled up alone to the maternity floor for overnight observation. By 4 am, they were able to make the contractions stop and thankfully my cervix is "closed, thick, and high" as they kept sharing with each other, but it was a long night.

I have been contraction free for over 24 hours, but this has definitely put a new spin on the pregnancy. I was just beginning to think about ways to relish this time and now I want to press the fast forward button for at least 6 weeks into the future.

So, I can't make any promises about this blog, but it is among my new year's resolutions, including copious amounts of water and sitting on my butt more than I would like. As always, thanks for reading, despite having to wait many weeks.


Blogger hipastorzwife2B said...

Praying for you guys

7:40 PM, January 03, 2007  
Anonymous Scott said...

I've been meaning to call you guys for a month now, and even moreso since reading your Christmas letter and this post. Sorry I haven't yet, but we'll talk soon. I'm glad things are okay at the moment, hopefully they stay that way. Sorry to hear about your flooding, too. That sucks.

Any ideas where you guys might be in the coming year? T and I are shooting for midwest again (lots of reasons)... it'd be great to be able to visit with the HBs!

7:15 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Iris said...

I also a baby my third year of seminary. He also made me go to the hospital twice with early contractions. Mine were at about 27 weeks. Thankfully, I had very understanding Profs that let me turn things in late and didn't mind if I kept squriming and getting up and down during class. I was never comfortable sitting in class!

You're in my prayers. Take care of yourself and ask for lots of help!

12:34 PM, January 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home